The Handgun Permit Application Process
Step 1: Application
Please fill out the online application at the Indiana State Police website. When completing the application, you must specify the agency you are applying through. If you live in St. Joseph County, (outside the city limits) select St. Joseph County Police Department. Note that selecting the wrong agency may delay the application process. If you are uncertain of your residence, you may call 574-245-6535 to verify.
Step 2: Fingerprints & Fees
Call 877-472-6917 to make an appointment for fingerprinting.
The station for printing is L-1 at Goodwill Industries on Grape Road in Mishawaka or Western Avenue. Visit the Records Division between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday for a background check before application is completed. Processing time is approximately 4 weeks.
Reasons for Permit Denial
You may be declined a handgun permit for any of the following reasons:
- If you have ever committed a felony.
- If your record shows a propensity for violence.
- If you have a history of domestic violence.
- If you have a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
- If you have threatened law enforcement officers with violence.
- The State also reserves the right to revoke any license that has been issued if you are convicted of any felony or if any of the above apply after your license has been issued.
For more information on handgun laws and permit information you can go to Indiana State Police Firearms Licensing website or contact the Indiana State Police Firearms Division at 317-233-5054.